11.22.2016

My (very early) Bullet Journal Experience

I haven't blogged very much this year. I always want to do more and have tons of ideas rolling around but man! Time gets away from me!

The past four or five months have been a really difficult time for me personally. I struggled to find peace and to make good choices in a lot of areas of my life. I was a lazy parent, eating too much, drinking too much, and staying up too late. It didn't click that something needed to change until I knew without a doubt I was experiencing grief and depression. I cut back on extra work, stopped drinking so much and have been better about eating healthy and exercising. Though I still need to work through some bad habits, I do feel that I am finally beginning to get back at it again. I'm excited about what's ahead!

One area that still needs work is my personal planning and organization. I LOVED using my planner in high school and college. It tracked my whole life! There was so much going on and homework assignments to jot down! But life changes after college and it became pretty clear that what works for me on the job doesn't work for me at home. I'm always on the go and life just seems so busy. I don't have time to have a planner!

That being said, my life seems to work a lot better with a planner. My brain definitely feels less cluttered when I use one and I tend to think more clearly. I also don't tend to lose my $#!& quite so easily. Get the drift? Less mental clutter, less stress, less losing of $#!&. All good things.

All I had to do was figure out how to make a planner work in my life. Challenge Accepted.

That's when I stumbled upon bullet journaling. I had seen this before and to be honest, never really thought much about it. I was still fixated on using really pretty yearly planners from various companies - Luther's academic year planner, Erin Condren's LifePlanner, Emily Ley's Simplified  Planner, etc. However, when I did some research, it seemed pretty obvious that I needed to give this a try. Off to Wal-Mart I went and I came home with this beauty.




And this is when I tell you that it's going well!

What I really like about bullet journaling is that you can make it be whatever you want or need it to be. Mine is super duper simple. Remember, I really don't have time to use a planner so there's no way I'm going to fancy mine up with doodles, coloring or tape. Just not happening. (Disclaimer: I do think those are really cute! Maybe one day I'll get into it.)

I also really like making lists and it seems my bullet journal is one big ol' pile of lists. It makes me so happy!




Clearly, I'm a little behind :) I'll work on that!

One thing I have recently added to the book is a to-do list. I've been trying to figure out how best to keep track of everything in my brain and I will be the first to admit that this might not be the best use of this particular book. However, after adding it to this book I got to thinking that I should just get another book for that! Easy peasy.

So for anyone out there that needs an organizational outlet, why not give bullet journaling a try?!


No comments: