5.15.2014

What's for Dinner {27} - Homemade Pizza Sauce

I have such fond memories of homemade pizza. Growing up, my dad made these for us every once in awhile and it was always a treat. He'd prepare the dough and let us sneak a couple bites if there was extra (which there always was!) after spreading it across the massive rectangle cookie sheet. If I remember correctly, if we had different desires for the toppings, we each had a row or two. I'll take pepperoni and spicy sausage, please!
And so the love for homemade pizza continues. However, one thing I like to do now is make my own pizza sauce. This sauce works well on normal crust like my dad used to make or tortillas, which I now prefer to use. AND, the sauce freezes well so you can make a ton, freeze them in ice cube trays and then transfer to a bag for use later! I used two ice cubes per medium tortilla.


Homemade Pizza Sauce from Food.com
*1 (15 oz) can Hunt's tomato sauce** (Hunt's is the best!)
*1/4 c water
*1 t sugar
*1/4 t dried oregano
*1/4 t dried basil leaves
*1/4 t dried thyme
*1/4 t garlic powder
*1/4 t salt
*1/8 t black pepper 
*1 whole bay leaf
*1/2 t lemon juice


Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sauce starts to boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 30-45 minutes or until it reaches the desired thickness. Then, build your pizza!



No comments: