5.23.2014

Little Mr. {Six Months}

Each month, there is more and more to be excited about - especially as new parents. This past month's biggest excitement is by far the introduction of rice cereal and real food. I definitely want to try my hand at making a lot of Owen's baby food from scratch but I have to admit, I did not put in much research on the subject before we started him on rice cereal. It may surprise you that this was decided on a whim. One day I just said, "Let's start rice cereal!" and we haven't looked back since. I think I'm even beginning to understand the idea of going with the flow. For those of you who may know me better than others, that is a BIG deal.

All you parents out there probably already know - the first two days were a bit hilarious. One, it's the first time we've ever fed a child their first ever "real" meal and two, it's the first time this child has dined on real food. Owen had no idea why he was sitting in his little bumbo seat, why we put a bib on him or what it even was, or had any interest in actually swallowing anything we gave him. He was all about blowing raspberries which of course landed all over my clothes and face. It was delightfully fun and Gary snapped pictures throughout the whole ordeal. After a day or two, Owen definitely got the hang of it. Our biggest mistake that first day? Not taking Owen's outfit off! Talk about messy.

Two weeks later, we started him on solids. We've decided to introduce a new food every three days and so far he's had bananas, avocados, sweet potatoes and pears. Next up on the docket are sweet peas and squash. I want his food adventure to include all sorts of different foods, tastes and textures so this should be a fun ride. I hope to capitalize on this three-day weekend to find some good items to prepare for the next few weeks of food adventures! I'll definitely blog about this experience in the coming weeks!

Developmentally, Owen's still plugging away. He loves to do anything that involves moving, being able to observe and grabbing/touching everything in sight and/or within reach. He's got this incredible strength in his little legs so he's can stand really well assisted. I love to perch him on my lap so he can wiggle about, bounce up & down and dance. Often times, he wants to look around so I'll just switch him around so he's looking away from me. He is quite easy to entertain! And speaking of moving around, Owen can spend a ton of time in his exersaucer (we bought this one) and jumparoo (we're borrowing one like this from my sister and brother-in-law). Definitely two MUST PURCHASE items for a busy baby! And for as much as Owen loves to chew on everything possible, no tiny baby teeth have sprouted. I'm sure that'll be the next "fun" adventure...

Now for what you all have been waiting for (for TWO WHOLE MONTHS!), Owen's six month stats!!! I had mentioned in Owen's 5m post that I guessed his weight to be 14-14.5 pounds. I actually meant 15-15.5. Oops!

6-Month Appointment (5/19/2014)
Weight: 15 lb 8 oz
Height: 26 inches

4-Month Appointment (3/18/2014)
Weight: 13 lb 1 oz
Height: 25 1/2 in

3-Month-Mommy-wants-a-weight-check Appointment (2/18/2014)
Weight: 11 lb 5 oz
Height: 24 in

2-Month Appointment (1/14/2014)
Weight: 10 lb 9 oz
Height: 22 7/8 in

2-Week Appointment (12/2/2013)
Weight: 7 lb 12 oz
Height: 21 in

Newborn (11/16/2013)                  
Weight: 7 lb 9 oz           
Height: 20 1/4 in




Catch up on Owen's First Year!
ONE  |  TWO  |  THREE  |  FOUR  |  FIVE 

No comments: