7.09.2020

Meet My Garden -- Part One!

I've been dreaming of a having a raised garden bed ever since we bought our home in Decorah. Did I ever act on that dream? Nope. I'm not a huge plant person so that's what kept me from having a garden, let alone any plants in the house. I never really believed I could keep one alive!

Well, that changed this year because of a company called Back to the Roots. I first saw this company on Instagram and immediately thought it was finally time to give this a try! This company was founded by two men in California that wanted to make gardening more accessible for people. Their mission speaks of that:

We're on a mission to reconnect every family & kid back to where food comes from by helping them experience the magic of growing it themselves - no green thumb or backyard needed. We hope you enjoy our organic gardening products and join us on the journey to get America growing. 

Back to the Roots has a number of products to choose from between windowsill planters of sunflowers, chili peppers, or lavender, to mushroom kits, to microgreens and herb kits. The best part is that they offer zero-risk gardening by offering to provide a replacement kit or your money back! I believe all of their products are also 100% organic and Non-GMO and their kits are either 100% compostable or made with recyclable materials. If you know me, you know I'm a sucker for sustainability!

I bought my first kit back in April but waited until we moved into the new house to plant it. I liked the idea of the kit especially because it came with everything in one package. I simply needed to plant the seeds and water it per their instructions. How simple is that?? I also got my hands on some herbs too and just look at how they've grown!! I planted all of them on June 6 and they had little seedlings by June 11 which just blows my mind. Now, they look pretty hardy and I can see the first semblance of flower buds on the cherry tomato plant which makes me so darn happy!


Back to the Roots Cherry Tomato Planter |  L: June 11  R: June 12



Organic Mint  |  L: June 11  R: June 12



Organic Basil  |  L: June 11  R: June 12

  


June 25

 


L: June 28  R: July 6

This turned into quite the post about three plants so I decided to do two parts to Meet My Garden. This will also allow me to introduce the CSA we've joined this year so be sure to check that out next week!

No comments: