7.15.2020

Meet My Garden - Part Two!

This post won't be quite as wordy as the last Meet My Garden post but what it doesn't have in words, it will have in pictures. I have FIVE tomato plants from non other than our wonderful CSA partners, Sundog Farms and Local Harvest CSA. We got one seedling with our normal share in early June and then I bought the others for $10. I can't remember exactly when I got them but I believe it was a few weeks later. 

What I love is that each one is a different tomato variety. I sure hope that each on produces fruit because I want to be able to see and taste each one! On a random note, one thing I learned that I will do differently next year is to bury the stem further down by a lot. I didn't do that with these and I really should have because they have long stems. 


L: Red Roma  |  M: Indigo Cherry Drop  |  R:  Red Juicer
July 6



L: Black Beauty  |  R: Sun Gold
July 6



Red Roma and her flowers





Indigo Cherry Drop and her berries*
*there were three until I handled one too aggressively :(




Red Juicer and her flowers




Black Beauty and her flowers that are no more;
One day I found the stem these flowers were on down in the dirt. 
I suspect it was the light sabor I saw next to the pot....





Sun Gold Cherry and all the damn flowers! 
I believe at this point she had at least 5-6 tomatoes growing




I've learned a couple of things since I obtained these plants that I will definitely do next year. For one, like I mentioned before, I will plant them deeper so more roots can grow. Secondly, I will use different stakes. I bought the 18" green ones you see above and they are pretty worthless. If these plants get much taller, I'll just use the new ones I got that you'll see below. Lastly, one thing I AM doing right now is clipping off the growth in the "elbows" of the stems. While I've missed a few, you want to take these off because they don't usually bring much to the plant and will take away from the rest of the plant that can produce fruit. 

I'll leave this post with a picture from today so you can see the new stakes as well as how much they've grown since July 6! It's pretty incredible. And Miss Sun Gold has at least 16 tomato babies! The rest are in the flower stage with the exception of Indigo who still has those two remaining babes growing. Oh and you'll notice I moved the plants closer to the house because it is super windy behind our house and it rains quite a bit. This shields them a little bit.


Red Roma  |  Indigo Cherry Drop  |  Red Juicer
July 15




Black Beauty  |  Sun Gold Cherry
July 15



No comments: