7.12.2020

CSA News 2020 {1} - This Year's CSA!

Thank you to everyone who checked out my last blog post about our new mason jar window planters from Back to the Roots. I am so excited to be growing our own tomatoes and herbs but even more excited to be partnered with a local farm for this year's CSA! The rest of my garden friends came from our CSA so be sure to check out Meet My Garden - Part Two coming out later this week!

I started writing this post when I was home sick for about the bajillionth time in January/early February. Did the start of 2020 kick anyone else's butt? At the time I wrote "I CANNOT WAIT for this to be over. I'm so sick of feeling sick!" Given all of the circumstances surrounding COVID-19, rest assured that I am so thankful I was only sick with influenza A or RSV for over a week and then influenza B for another round. Not sure how I got so sick but I think it's because it was the first time for our boys to be in this area during the winter months and I have ALWAYS gotten what they get. 

I am saddened by what COVID-19 has done to this world but also encouraged by how everyone is coming together and supporting one another. I can echo what I said in January - I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS TO BE OVER but we will all do it together, albeit with at least a 6 foot separation and face masks.

Given all the sickness we normally face day-to-day, one really awesome thing that I love about our boys is that they love fresh, raw vegetables. Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers, green beans, etc. It is such a gift to be able to feed them something so good for their bodies and that they happily accept. I am so excited to continue to introduce vegetables to them and one way we'll be doing that this year is through this year's CSA. It has been a whopping 5+ years since I first blogged about CSAs (aka Community Shared Agriculture) and it's about time to bring it on back!

We supported Patchwork Green Farm in Decorah from 2014-2018. I LOVED working with them and visiting them at the market during the summer and fall. I remember taking Owen there when he was a baby and we'd sneak off to grab my favorite brunch at Restauration/Hotel Winneshiek when they had the smarts to have Chef Tom Skold be their executive chef. 




They always had such a nice variety of produce and I loved being able to pick and choose what we purchased on each trip. That being said, I really stuck to the same types of food. I didn't branch out very much at all. Now that I know my kids like raw foods, I really need to get out of my comfort zone to introduce more to their palettes so that they will grow up enjoying all types of vegetables. In doing so, that will help Gspice and I to eat more too!

You might be wondering why we only worked with Patchwork through 2018. Well, a whole heck of a lot happened in 2019 and between moving three times last year, I honestly didn't think about it. I didn't even make it to the farmer's market at all last year! How crazy is that? We won't get the chance to visit any farmers markets in 2020 but I do know that we WILL still receive fresh produce and eggs from the vendor we've partnered with this year. I'm so happy that this is the case so that they are able to continue their operations and business and so that we can get all those delicious fresh veggies!

Another fun tidbit - this farm is owned and managed by two sisters, Carmen and Maja Black. Coming from a family of four sisters, this was super cool to learn! They also have goats which just ups the cuteness factor.


Without further ado, please meet our CSA vendor, Sundog Farm & Local Harvest CSA! We purchased their spring, summer, and winter shares along with farm fresh eggs so there's plenty of veggies in our future! Pictured below is from an add-on January share and I'll be sure to include a picture from the summer share once we have a table I can spread it out on. There's so much I definitely need that! I'll share some of the recipes I've made then too!



Lastly, please bsure to come back this week for Meet My Garden - Part Two and visit the Sundog Farm & Local Harvest CSA website! Another fun tidbit about them is that they have all been living on the farm together during this time to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. I love their dedication to their farm and community partners and it is a joy every single week to have that brief visit when picking up our share. They recently highlighted all of their team members on Insta so be sure to check that out too!

No comments: