5.26.2014

What's for Dinner {28} - Simple Bolognese

My latest food obsession is most definitely the bolognese I had at La Rana a couple months ago. My friend from work and I decided to go out to eat during Women's Weekend Out here in Decorah and it was the BEST DECISION EVER! I literally had it two more times in a matter of less than two weeks after that initial discovery.

From this obsession came the determination to make it at home so that Gspice could try it too. I wanted to make Chef Zakarian's bolognese but that seemed a bit out of my league, especially since I do not have a dutch oven (I'll have to get one now!) so I went with Giada's simple bolognese recipe. Though this was quite delightful, I discovered that the meat used definitely makes a difference. Next time, I'll use something a little better than ground beef.


*1/4 c extra-virgin olive oil
*1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
*2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
*1 celery stalk, coarsely chopped - (Gspice and I don't like celery so we left this out)
*1 carrot, coarsely chopped
*1 lb ground chuck beef
*1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
*1/4 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
*8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
*s & p as needed
*1/4 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano (WAY too expensive at Wal-mart so I went with Parmesan but forgot to put it on!)

In a large skillet heat the olive oil. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes. Raise heat to high and add the ground beef. Saute, stirring frequently and breaking up any large lumps and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 10 minutes.


Add the tomatoes, parsley and basil and cook over medium low heat until the sauce thickens. Season with salt and pepper. This will take approximately 1/2 hour so you can cook your pasta as well.


Finish bolognese with Pecorino Romano.

No comments: