12.19.2011

Date Night - December style

Since returning to Decorah, I've been dying to try the Tap Room located in the Hotel Winneshiek. They've done really well over the last few months and even started a Happy Hour menu. Gary and I finally made it over for drinks and an appetizer on Friday, December 16.

Part of my excitement was being able to get my drink of choice for only $3 - Malbec, which is normally $5. I had done a wine tasting at the hotel a while back and LOVED this wine and the Sangeovise but that one is no longer on the menu. They are both reds that pair really well with red meat. And boy do I love my red meats :) STEAK! Speaking of, we got an incredible appetizer called the Steak & Potato Stacks for only $4. This usually goes for $8. Sweeeeet! The stack comprises of a red potato, sliced filet mignon (OMG), a blue cheese butter, and a cherry tomato. My mouth is watering just thinking of it. Rest assured, I'll be back for more.



We decided that we would splurge on getting a meal too but headed to Rubaiyat for that because Gary was peeing his panties over their chicken sandwich. I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised with my order. My last go at this restaurant wasn't so pleasant, but I'll just keep my comments to myself because it's been a few years since I didn't like what I was served. I'd say that's a pretty good track record. PS: we haven't actually sat in the restaurant for a few years. It's just so gosh darn expensive. Besides, the bar has really great offerings - usually smaller portions of items on the regular menu.

Gary's meal choice:

Isaiah’s Chicken Sandwich 9.95
Country fried chicken filet, Carolina BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, tomato,
bacon, pickles; choice of soup, salad or sweet potato fries



My meal choice:
Tilapia Piccata 9.95
Artichoke hearts, capers, lemon butter white wine sauce; rice medley

**The fish was SO tasty! I'd definitely order this again.

No comments: