1.03.2012

A New Year - Resolution #1 & #2

It's incredible how time flies. I remember last year this time I was awaiting finding out about a job and I am doing the exact same thing this year. I tried not to be too excited or hopeful just in case it didn't work out and yep, I'm doing the same thing this year. I am thinking about how much I appreciate having my current job but wish it wasn't nights and weekends. I am excited about a big change coming up - GETTING MARRIED and though I'm not doing that ever again, I'm excited about the big change we are hoping to make this year - BUY A HOUSE.

It's just incredible how time flies yet is practically the same.

Okay, moving on. I have a few things that I want to accomplish this year. They are goals that I would LOVE to say that I have accomplished by December 31, 2012. There are only 365 days in a year and it's so important that we don't waste those days because they move sooooo darn fast.

Resolution #1: Focus on ME

I learned so much in the short time I was pregnant. I felt like my hormones were more normal, my appetite more normal, my mood more normal (considering :)). I also realized that the habits I have created for myself will one day affect another. Me not taking the time to exercise, drink enough water, eat balanced meals throughout the day, take vitamins, etc are TERRIBLE habits that not only affect me now but everyone around me. Any future babies, my husband, my family, my colleagues, etc are all affected by my habits. It's time to take responsibility for myself and focus on me. Here are the things I'd like to work on:

1.1 Drink 64+oz. water a day
1.2 Eat 2-5 servings of fruits & veggies a day
1.3 Perform daily exercises at > 85% for the month
1.4 Exercise at least 3 times a week
1.5 Take a daily vitamin
1.6 Drink less - I've decided that my max will be 2 drinks a night. If more, alternate between water and another glass or bottle of whatever.

I'm interested to see how these changes will effect some other things that bother me: dry lips and feeling so lethargic all the time. We'll have to see.

Resolution #1: Focus on OTHERS

2.1 Recognize Birthdays! I've been saying this for awhile but I reallly realllly want to remember everyone's birthday. I've created a spreadsheet with the dates and will be setting up reminder's in my google calendar which will prompt me to action.

2.2 Spend more time with family. I LOVE the idea of monthly get-togethers. We all have more recipes we'd like to try out and/or different projects we could work on together (okay, maybe just me - putting the backing on Emma's remembrance quilt is terrifying!) What will make this difficult is my random Hotel schedule. I tend to work most if not every Saturday but could probably get the 21st off of this month. Bridget, if you'd still like to do this, let me know what you think! Oh and Skype will help me to keep in touch with Leta and Amanda/Neil/Almost-Here-Heller-Baby. Speaking of, I can't wait to meet her!

3 comments:

Bridget said...

Yes! I would love to get together monthly! What about doing it on a random night during the week when you aren't scheduled to work (for January)? I get off work at 4:30. That way you can earn money on the 21st to put towards your house:)Just a thought.

vanessawiest11 said...

Actually, I work Saturday morning so it is not likely that I'll be scheduled to work that night. Does the 21st still work for you guys? I've been searching and searching for the best appetizer/dessert recipes. I've found some contenders that I can't wait to try out!

Aimee said...

Yay for homebuyer dreams! :-) I really wanted to buy a house this year, and I think we could swing it. But with the amount of student loans we have under our belt, saving for another year and paying those down doesn't sound so bad either.

All your resolutions are great! I'm trying to drink less too... thankfully my later shift has made it hard for me to drink when I get home at night :-)