1.12.2014

What's for Dinner {20} - Tomato Bisque

I have wanted to make this FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I, however, have very little skill in creating a good soup. Though I haven't quite craved tomatoes like I used to since Owen was born, it is slowly coming back to me. I do love my tomatoes. So, today I finally mustered up the courage to try it out (without a solid recipe, mind you!)

Here's my own rendition of Tomato Bisque

- 3 T butter
- medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp of chopped garlic
- 2 (28oz) cans of whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 1 T fresh basil, chopped
- 1 3/4 c heavy cream
- s&p to taste

1. Melt butter in large saucepan. Add onions and garlic, cook until softened.



2. Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes and basil. Cook until boiling on medium high heat. Turn down, let simmer for 30-45 minutes.


3. In two batches, add soup to a blender (fill only half way). Pulse to desired thickness.


4. Return soup to saucepan and whisk in heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.


In hindsight, I would have added a little flour in the beginning to create a little roux but oh well. It's still pretty delish!

This soup is actually going to be eating through the week - during the last week of my maternity leave (sad!) Gspice and I have already decided to have pizza tonight and I am oh so excited!

No comments: