1.16.2014

Little Mr. {Two Months}

Our Little Mr. just keeps growing and growing right underneath my nose! Owen is now TWO WHOLE MONTHS old and is really starting to become more than a little squishy newborn.

He loves to smile and is starting to coo more and more. And his head control? For reals - I thought that it wasn't coming along so well because when we put him on his tummy - he just licks the play mat. I paid more attention to when I was burping him on my shoulder and noticed OH MY - he's holding his head up for a looooooooong time. Exciting! (He still needs more neck control though as you'll notice in the picture below. Yikes! I promise I only kept him in that pose for the .03 seconds it took to take the photo!) Owen is doing well with tracking sounds, voices and lights too. I love when I can start talking and he'll turn his head and give me the biggest gummy smile. So cute. I can also tell he's using his legs more and more - Owen loves to kick!

Owen has been on formula since just after Thanksgiving and while it has made a HUGE difference for both of us, we are still trying to figure it all out. He seems to be a happy spitter (thankfully!) but he sure is fidgety and sometimes fussy during many of his feedings. Though ever since we switched from a soy-based formula back to the Walmart brand of similac sensitive, he's been doing so much better - not as much gas or constipation which I hope will last. It's hard to see him struggle and cry.

Our last official measurements of Little Mr. were from waaaaay back when he was two weeks old. Imagine my excitement for his two-month appointment. Yeah, I know, he was to also get the first round of vaccinations, but I COULD NOT WAIT. Here are his stats:

Newborn (11/16/2013)                  
Weight: 7 lb 9 oz           
Height: 20 1/4 in

2-Week Appointment (12/2/2013)
Weight: 7 lb 12 oz
Height: 21 in

2-Month Appointment (1/14/2014)
Weight: 10 lb 9 oz
Height: 22 7/8 in

I could never tell when he was going through a growth spurt so was so glad to see that he was in fact growing!

The not so fun part was that Owen got his first round of vaccines that day as well. He did really well in my opinion. He didn't like getting the shots but was able to stop crying shortly after. He was due to eat at 4pm but slept for an extra hour and had a full feeding (4oz). We decided to feed on demand which was a good thing because we definitely noticed a difference when he woke up for his next feeding (turned out to be every 3 hours like we had been doing anyway). Over the course of the next 12-15 hours, Owen got three different doses of infant acetaminophen, once at 8pm for discomfort, once at 1:45a for a 100.6 fever and lastly at 8am for a fever of 100.0 (he did not have a fever at 5am). Despite a low fever and minor discomfort I saw some smiles throughout the night and much less crying than the late evening the night before. Such a relief! He seemed to be mostly back to normal all day yesterday. The only reaction that I think is still in play is his lack of appetite. He isn't quite back to eating 4 full ounces but eats more often so he's still getting the same amount each day.

Looking ahead, I go back to work next week. I am excited to go back but nervous too. I have a lot to learn and will be adjusting as a new working mama too. My hope is that I can get enough sleep! We'll see how that goes :) Right now, I anticipate having to feed him once in the early morning hours which isn't so bad.

Here he is at two months!



Catch up on Owen's First Year!
ONE 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

way to go, Owen! He's such a cutie!