4.24.2014

What's for Dinner {24} - Creamy Ham & Noodle Casserole

I decided Easter was the perfect time for me to try making my first ham ever. And boy, was it pretty darn easy. I have to thank my parents for letting us use their roaster, which we don't have, and their nice oven, which we also don't have so I'm sure that made the process a whole lot smoother than it would have gone at our house :) Oh, and thanks for Gspice for helping me out with the honey glaze. He was too jazzed to let me do it. Apparently, I wasn't doing it right...
As proud of myself I am, I wasn't a huge fan of it. I think that was because it was a spiral cut ham and had a little too much fat to pick off for my taste. Though, the ham itself was just fine. Regardless, we came home with a bag full of leftovers. I got it in my head that I wanted to try something else with it and I found this delightful recipe to use up the leftover ham!

Creamy Ham & Noodle Casserole adapted from Mostly Homemade Mom

*2 c cooked ham, chopped
*2 eggs, beaten
*1 c sour cream
*1 1/2 T dried, minced onion
*1 t salt, pepper, basil
*1 c shredded mozzarella cheese (she used swiss but I couldn't find it in the store!)
*12 oz egg noodles, cooked and drained

In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and sour cream until smooth. Add ham, minced onion, spices and cheese. Gently fold in egg noodles, turning to coat well.

Transfer to an 8x8 pan or 2 quart baking dish and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. You may need to put foil over it in the last 10 minutes to prevent edges from getting too brown.

It was sooooo good.


Next time, I'll try making double the recipe and freezing the 2nd pan. Yay for using up leftover ham!!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yum, I made this tonight with swiss. I halved the noodles and ham, but kept the sauce ingredients the same. I feared it would get dried out if I didn't double the sauce. I cooked it for 25 minutes. It was enough for a main dish for Neil and I and will be good as a side for both of us tomorrow at lunch. Will make again! Thanks for sharing.

vanessawiest11 said...

I'm glad you liked it! I had leftovers today and it was still pretty darn good.