11.20.2011

Super Sides {1} - Recent Recipes

Though this probably qualifies for a "What's for Dinner" distinction, they aren't dinner recipes so alas, we'll just call it Super Sides! I've been trying my best to eat better these days (though recently I've eaten only goulash...) Eating my fruits and veggies seem more difficult than those lovely starches. Sooooo I decided to dress them up a bit.

Super Side #1 - Baked Cinnamon Apples

to make:
1. turn on oven to 200 degrees
2. slice your apples to your desired thickness. I usually got 3-5 slices per apple.
3. put apple slices on cookie sheet and sprinkle cinnamon on each slice
4. bake for 2 hours, flipping them halfway through

The apples come out super warm and are just delicious

--

Super Side #2 - Chocolate-covered Bananas

to make:
1. melt a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or whatever flavor you like best)
2. slice banana(s)
3. drizzle melted chocolate on to the banana slices

SO GOOOOOOOOD. Best way I've had bananas yet. Sadly I don't have a picture of this. I have a couple banana pins on pinterest though. One that you spread peanut butter on a banana slice and cover completely with melted chocolate. That one looks good too!

--

I truly do love my starches so yes, I have a couple potato recipes :)

Super Side #3 - Oven-roasted Potatoes

to make:
1. I think I heat the oven to 425...I'm pretty sure I do it differently every time...
2. clean baby red potatoes
3. dice the babe reds to roughly half-inch or one-inch squares - mine are never uniform and they cook just fine
4. place in a mixing bowl
5. coat potatoes with a healthy dose of evoo, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste
6. place on a cookie sheet making sure to spread them around (also make sure to get all that yummy olive oil goodness to the pan
7. cook for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown on outside and fully cooked on inside so it kinda melts in your mouth

This has got to be my favorite potato recipe. I don't have a pic of this either but I make it quite often to complement a good fish or chicken recipe.

--

Super Side #4 - Mashed Potatoes

to make:
1. clean baby reds
2. dice baby reds
3. place in saucepan and cook until soft
4. meanwhile, dice a clove or two of garlic
5. place garlic, unsalted butter and milk in a saucepan and cook on low - do not let it boil
6. drain potatoes and mash
7. add the butter mixture and 1/2 cup sour cream to mashed potatoes
8. I added more butter to taste along with a touch of salt and pepper

I didn't follow a recipe for this but used what we had in the fridge. Luckily for me, it turned out realllly good. I had a bit too much of goulash for lunch today so this served as a lovely dinner :)

No comments: