6.28.2016

Office Art

I've had my own office now for almost a year. In one week, I'll hit the one year anniversary and I'm just now adding art to the walls. You shouldn't be all that surprised because it took me 15 months to put the art up in our living space at home, two years to put up our faux headboard, a few months to hang the nursery art, and I have yet to put up the gallery wall in our bedroom. To that, I'll say that one year isn't so bad. I'm not quite done yet but it's close enough and I can't wait to share it!

My office has four walls, two with doors and one with cabinets. It's a nicely spaced office but needed some color to make the room pop. It also needed to serve as a positive space as sometimes the interactions in my office aren't always happy. Working in Higher Ed with students, let's just say it can get a little emotional or dramatic. Who knew? ;-) I wanted to evoke calm, positivity, happiness, cheerfulness, etc., and I think I covered that pretty well. Also, I wanted some of the art to serve me since I'm looking at it and then some of the art to serve those coming to our office since they'll be looking at it.


This is always the first art to be placed, since it's simple and easy to put up. All I needed was pushpins and luckily, my desk already had those. As you can probably tell, I'm missing a photo of my littlest niece but I hope to get a nice one soon when they come to town! I would also love to update our family photo since we'll soon have a new brother-in-law and of course all the little kiddos. The other art - definitely needed a photo of the handsome Mr., a photo with a college bestie (the SAC office went through photos and found this!), a Rubaiyat guest receipt with a really nice thank you from a diner to me, a tip calendar so I can see it every day to keep inspired, and a couple kid art pieces. 


The first art piece I hung up was one I created myself. I wanted anyone that came in and sat down to see it. It reads, "Positive Mind, Positive Vibes, Positive Life". Nothing fancy but with a pop of color, it's a gentle reminder to everyone the positivity starts with yourself.


The second art is my vintage Chicago photo. I ordered a print from Brim Papery and this was a free addition that I got to choose. I was so excited because I adore Chicago. I have such fond memories of time I've spent there. Gspice and I went there after only dating for a couple of months, we got engaged there, I spent a semester there, and had a great weekend with my good friends from college. We can't wait to get back there!



The gallery wall stumped me for a bit which is partially why this took so long to complete. It's a work in progress as you can tell but it'll be done soon. It started out a little different and it morphed after I ordered the circle frames way too large. My bad. But I'm actually really happy with how it turned out. It's not too overwhelming and is less artsy than I originally planned. I was going to hang up kids' artwork from daycare here but couldn't quite figure out how to do it. Then, I decided that I'll (eventually) hang those at home instead. In the meantime, I had painted and filled the circle frames and put photos in two of the other frames. For awhile, only the two frames with the kids' photos hung on the wall. It looked way too simple for my taste. So on a random Friday, I whipped out the measuring tape, hung up some paper to get my spacing right, then hung everything up. I've since ordered the photo for the small Luther postcard place holders and then hope to fill the remaining picture frame with a family photo after my sister's wedding. It'll come together very soon!



Lastly, you have these beauties to feast your eyes upon. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. These hang on the wall across from the door to my office so everyone can see them when they walk in. I love the colors and that they fit the bill for adding calm and color in one shot. I first fell in love with these when I took my kids to the pediatric dentist. We love that office already but they had these canvases all over the place so of course I asked where she got them from. Much to my delight, they were easily accessible and in the right price range. So, when you have a few spare moments, go to to Wayfair.com.

I share an update after I've completed the gallary wall and share some tips I have for hanging photos. Can't wait to share!

No comments: