12.22.2018

What's for Dinner {46} - Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff

Most who know me know that I love a good red sauce for my pastas. It was time to select what I was going to make for the annual Pasta Night for students staying over break and I decided it was time for a change. As I searched for crockpot recipes, this one stood out immediately. I'm so glad I decided to try it - I can still smell the wondrous aroma coming from the crockpot as this cooked for eight hours of my workday last Monday.

The boys were able to stop by for a hot second but didn't end up staying too long. They got to try a lot of the different pastas available but sadly, the boys didn't seem to like mine too much, nor did Gspice. I'm just going to blame that on him not feeling so well because I really liked it. I'm also guessing the color didn't appease them like a normal red sauce might. However, it made excellent left overs so I can still make it for myself :) The best part of the night though was definitely the RAs washing all of the dishes!







Next time I make this, I may try to leave out the cream cheese to see how that works for the recipe. It was super creamy and delicious but without it would make it a bit more healthy! As we gear up for a fun holiday season and the coldness it brings, be sure to add this recipe to your menu planning!


Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff from Creme de la Crumb


  • 1 1/2 - 2 lb  stew meat
  • 2 t Italian seasoning
  • salt and pepper, to taste (I used about 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper)
  • 2 c beef broth (I used low sodium)
  • 1 c sliced mushrooms (I of course left this out!)
  • 3 T Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 T minced garlic
  • 1 T dijon mustard
  • 1 c sour cream
  • 6 oz cream cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes, softened
  • 4 T corn starch (or flour) + 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 12 ounces short pasta noodles, cooked according to package instructions (egg noodles are traditionally served with stroganoff but penne, macaroni, or spiral all work well)

Instructions

  1. Lightly grease your slow cooker, then add stew meat and sprinkle Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste over the top. Add mushrooms, beef broth, garlic, Dijon mustard, and worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
  2. About 30 minutes before serving, stir corn starch (or flour) into 1/2 cup beef broth and stir mixture into slow cooker. Add cream cheese and sour cream to slow cooker then cook another 20-30 minutes on high, stirring occasionally until cream cheese and sour cream are incorporated and sauce is thickened. 
  3. Taste, add salt and pepper to your personal taste if needed, and stir in noodles. Serve immediately garnished with cracked black pepper and fresh thyme if desired.

    **This recipe makes great leftovers!

If you would like to see previous recipes that I have made for this event, check out the recipes below!

2017




No comments: