4.10.2011

Caramelized Onions. Yum.

I have been anticipating this day for quite awhile. I have recently decided that onions aren't completely the worst food on earth and have wanted to make some caramelized onions for a.w.h.i.l.e. Sure, it doesn't really count for liking onions but I promise, I'm getting better. I can even eat them in my favorite Chipotle salsa. Baby steps people, baby steps.

In anticipation for making burgers, I went to the Wedge Co-op last night (which was AWESOME!) to pick up some cilantro. That was when I remembered I wanted to try and make caramelized onions since I've never done so before. So I got me an onion as well. Vanessa was dreaming big!

Due to eating lunch ridiculously early today (9:45am? I didn't realize it was so early...) I got super hungry by 4pm. That was when I cut up that onion and got super excited. I LOVE the smell of cooked onions. I can still smell it now. Amazing. They turned out okay, a little burned, but still okay. I will do better next time.




2 comments:

Amanda said...

looks yummy, did you use a recipe for the onions?

vanessawiest11 said...

I kind of used a recipe.

1. I heated a pan on medium to high heat I think with olive oil and butter.

2. Once it started to bubble a little, add the onions and leave them be. Only tossle them around if they look like they are burning at the bottom. The more you do tossle them, the less caramelized they'll become.

3. let them caramelize :) you can add sugar or salt (I can't remember) to speed up the process. It takes approx. 30 minutes to an hour.