10.10.2012

What's for Dinner {9} - two new recipes!!

I've been dying to make this soup for soooo long after having tried it at work one night a few months back. I always thought that using asparagus in soup was a little odd but seriously, it was so good. I finally mustered up the courage to make it but sadly, I didn't like it very much. It was much too soupy for me. I wanted it to be thick. It definitely was not thick. Maybe next time. Good news - Gary liked it! He usually doesn't like my food so that's a win!

Here are the two recipes we made on September 27, 2012:


Cheese and Bacon Potato Rounds

*4 baking potatoes, cut in to 1/2" slices
*1/4 c melted butter
*4 slices bacon - cooked and crumbled
*8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
*1/2 c chopped green onions
 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. 

Brush both side of potato slices with butter; place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated 400 degrees F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned on both sides, turning once. 

When potatoes are ready, top with bacon, cheese, and green onion; continue baking until the cheese has melted.

Mmmm. Mmmmm. SO good.


Cream of Asparagus Soup

*1 pound of fresh asparagus, cut into ½ pieces. Reserve Tips.
*1 small onion - diced
*1 small minced garlic clove
*4 cups chicken broth
*1 cup heavy cream
*3 to 4 tablespoons butter/margarine
*3 to 4 tablespoons flour
*salt and pepper

Sweat onions in a pan until cooked through. Melt butter or margarine and add flour making a roux. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes. Do not brown. Add chicken broth and chopped asparagus and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add cream and season with salt and pepper. Add asparagus tips and cook for a few more minutes. Puree soup.

Again, this was way too soupy for me. Perhaps I should have used for flour in the roux but I also have some other recipes pinned that use potatoes. That might make it a thicker/creamier soup that I want.

I'd rate this a success. Though I didn't care for the soup as much, the potatoes filled me up :)


No comments: