10.01.2012

What's for Dinner {8} - Our New Favorite Meal!!

Okay, maybe it's my new favorite. I think gspice still loves the chicken griddler we make best. We don't pair this with anything but the leftover wine but my goodness, it's enough. I seriously could eat the whole pan but I don't because that would be a whole box of pasta. Yikes. That's no good.

To make this beautiful meal, I combined a couple different recipes I found on pinterest.  I was inspired to use these specific recipes because of asparagus and cherry tomatoes. We have a love affair with asparagus so that was a given. As for the cherry tomatoes, one of Gary's co-workers found out that I am obsessed with tomatoes so she kept giving him all kinds of tomatoes to bring home to me - I'm not sure what kind of regular tomatoes she gave us, but it was honestly the best tasting tomato I've had all year, possibly ever. Yes, it was live-changing.

I can't remember where one of the recipes was found but here's the main one I used with the addition oven-roasted asparagus on that fateful day - August 19, 2012:

Sauteed Shrimp with White Wine sauce served over pasta

I adapted this a bit and here's what I used.

*1 (1 lb) package Creamette Fettuccine or Linguini
*1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*2-4 clove garlic, minced
*1/2 cup white wine
*1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
*1 pound raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined
*1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped
*1 lb asparagus, with ends off and cut into 2 in sections

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a large cookie sheet, mix asparagus with olive oil and the spices of your choice. I use a pepper mix, salt, and oregano. Cook asparagus for approximately 12-15 minutes. We like it fully cooked through but others like a little crunch. It will take less time if you want the crunch.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, salt water and add pasta. Cook until al dente.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté olive oil and garlic until garlic becomes golden, about 2 minutes. Add white wine and cook for about 2 minutes until the wine has reduced.

Add halved cherry tomatoes to saucepan. Once tomatoes appear soft, about 5 minutes, add shrimp and saute until they turn pink, about 5 minutes unless you're using frozen shrimp like us. It'll take probably 10-15 minutes to cook both sides enough. Perhaps longer if you like your shrimp on the over-done side like we do :)

Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of pasta water for finishing sauce. Add linguine, parsley and a splash of reserved pasta water in saucepan, tossing together for 2 minutes on medium heat to combine.  Use more pasta water if needed to moisten the sauce.

Salt and pepper to taste.




 Gary has tried to tell me, now that we've made this 3-4 times, that he prefers it without the wine.


I'm choosing not to believe him.

No comments: